Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Chronicles of Fostering Children: In Retrospect: The Acquisition of a Foster License – Part I

Thursday, July 12, 2012

In Retrospect: The Acquisition of a Foster License – Part I

     The year is 2010 and after trying to conceive for over two years with my wife of five years unsuccessfully, we decided to put our efforts into a cause that would benefit others (yes the pitter patter of feet and possibility of babies was definitely inspirational in our choice to do so) and ourselves.
     Let me back up a bit now. Prior to becoming engaged to be married, many things should be discussed, and one of the most important is the raising of children. My manner of discussion on this subject was different than the normal: “hey do you want kids”, “sure, I love kids” or “hell no, what are you thinkin’”. Whatever the conversation encompasses in its progression for each couple is different, but they can have similar outcomes. Perhaps the progression of ours is not traditional, but it still has one goal in sight.
     
     Let me back up much farther to add reason. I have been married once before, and it has been 5 years since my divorce (4 really but the whole 1st year that we were separated I include because we were really not together at all). I have two children from this first marriage: a 20 year old son, and 17 year old daughter. Both great kids!

    After my daughter was born we learned what colic could do to a person’s sanity, not to mention the fact that my daughter almost died when she was 5 months old due to respiratory problems. My son had learning problems and was behind in his development (speech, walking, talking, and learning) for most of his younger years. These problems mixed with our youthful inexperience formed the opinion that our genetic makeups did not mesh well together. I had a vasectomy performed in 1995 thinking that this was it for me, but I wish they would not let a person do this so easily, because I was very immature back then. Anyway that story is for another blog (perhaps).

     It is now 2005 sometime in March or April; I am having the discussion of children with my best friend and soon to be wife. The mutual decision formed during the conversation is to save for a vasectomy reversal and then start trying to have children. This sounds simple enough except for the $10,000 price tag and no guarantee that it will be successful. This is especially true when it has been 10 years since the vasectomy. Our talk includes adoption and foster-to-adopt as well. We talk about wanting to foster in the future even if we are able to have our own children.

     Three years later, we have the money for the operation, and it is performed by one of the most highly recommended surgeons in the country. It is 2008, and the operation is a success. I have enough sperm to naturally conceive with my wife. The numbers are by no means off the charts but definitely hopeful.

     Two years after the surgery, pumped full of fertility medication, and tired of blowing money fertility treatments we are diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Thank you for that bit of useless information. Sad, extremely! Set back financially, greatly! The worst part of it all, though I can only imagine, is the emptiness my wife feels from not carrying a baby inside her womb. She is of strong mind though, one of the many reasons I love her, and moves onward retaining the emptiness that will remain deep inside this woman throughout her entire life.

     It is now time for “Plan B” of which we are both fully on board. In Arizona there is a 10 week class that potential foster parents have to graduate to be considered for a license. This course is known as PS MAPPS (Partnering for Safety and Permanence Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting). Mid October in 2010 we begin the course and graduate in early December. We are hyped and ready to be licensed to start our journey through the realm of fostering children. All throughout the course we are praised for the good work we are accomplishing and told that we are going to make great foster parents. Separate accomplishments required are: CPR, First Aid, Level 1 fingerprint clearance, complete medical physicals, a state-run inspection of our home, interviews with friends/family to glean character information, financial records, etc. Not to mention the amount of money spent on extra security measures needed for our home (special smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, slip resistant tub mats, fire extinguishers, etc.) We have fulfilled all of these standards at this time.

     During our second to last class, on one of the breaks, my wife and I choose to go outside where there is another couple from our class. We begin to talk with them about the future and one of them mentions that they hope they get licensed or they will not be able to afford the place they just rented (The state requires that anyone doing foster care is able to pay their living expenses entirely on their own). After this conversation my wife and I look at each other and she asks me, “Did you hear what they said?”

 “Of course I heard it,” I tell her and she already knows this by the way we are looking at each other. This is distressing to both of us, and my wife is a woman of strong conviction. Where I may let something like this slide, thinking it is not my business, she will not, so we discuss it and decide that she will let the agency know. The night of our last class she speaks with our instructor. This individual thanks my wife for letting her know and reiterates the importance of providing foster care for the right reasons. My wife feels much better inside. Whether something is done or not, now it is off of her conscience. 

     We receive our graduation certificates at the end of the night. We are told again that we are going to be wonderful foster parents and are thanked for our inspired participation in the course.
     
     The very next day, my wife receives a call from our "licensing worker" stating that they (the licensing agency) will not be recommending us for a license with the state of Arizona.

     Silence…. My wife is speechless. The woman gives her an empty apology, then tries to end the call. My wife asks her "Why?" to which she replies, "We always have meetings after training ends and discuss each family. It was our collective opinion that foster care would be too traumatic for you and your husband being you have suffered infertility in the past."


 I am at work. She calls me crying and I cannot believe what I am hearing as I assume the same demeanor that she had when she received the news.

     Silence…. then I speak, “what is their reasoning for this decision?”

     My wife replies, “Their reason was that we had suffered from infertility and that they thought it would be too "traumatic" for us to have a child in our home and lose them back to their family.

     I tell her, “I am sorry” in my confusion while trying to understand what I have just been told.

     Her strength returns and she says, “I am going to call them back and find out what we can do from here and try to speak with a supervisor.”

     Augh, the woman I love. Go get ‘em babe!!

End of Part I

No comments: