Family Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Chronicles of Fostering Children: Our first placement

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Our first placement


     My wife receives a call from our licensing worker about a sibling group of three children ranging from five years old down to one month old. I am at work and my wife calls to let me know the information she received from our agent. We can only take two of the children because this is what we are licensed for with the state. My wife would have loved to take the baby into our care, but the older two need to stay together more than a baby would with either of them that she has not bonded with deeply yet.

     They have all been in state care for one month, and the family they are placed with is having “personal problems” and needs them to be removed from their home as soon as possible. Our agency wants my wife to call the foster parents and schedule a time for the transition. Weird… No social worker, no CPS, no agents. Just two couples exchanging children in the night.

     I am thinking, “What a strange introduction into child placement in our home.”

     This is exactly what can take place in a transition of a child from foster parent to foster parent (approved by CPS and our agency of course) and will not be the last time it happens to us. There is a surprise in store in less than a month that will make life even better for all who are involved.

     After my wife contacts the foster parents that have the children in question, she calls me at work, and tells me that around 7 or 8 pm this same day the children are coming to have a visit with us (This is encouraged before actually moving the children). Stunned surprise fills me; not to mention the excitement of two kids (brother and sister) being placed into our home soon. On February 23, 2012 close to 8 p.m., the couple arrives with all 3 children. We are informed at that time that they intend to leave the children at our home, rather than a simple visit. This seems odd to us, but we acquiesce, and we now have our very first foster children.

     The poem written here illustrates the demeanor of the poor kids as they walk into our home. It was written by me during a “Creative Writing Course” I attended at Walden University.


Love Bugs

At night they appeared from a family in trouble
Two sad little faces torn by life’s struggles
Heads bowed in unison when greeting them both
My heart sank a little seeing loss of hope

As I spoke with the duo that dropped off the babes
Relief washed their faces when they knew they were safe
Off the corner of sight I saw little glances
Of youth starting to notice multiple animals’ advances

Adults said farewell and spoke to each child in care
Letting them know they felt concern but assuring their welfare
As the woeful couple broke the doorways border
Both sets of eyes peered on me seeking new order

Dangling sacks of food on the run
Hung down from each child filled with fun
The enjoyment masked by the bleak event
Of having to be dropped off again only a month after placement

They asked for nothing as we welcomed them in
To our house full of love for these new additions of kin
Conversation was limited to whispers and shrugs
Of the poor unknowing, confused little bugs

Written by Paul Lofgreen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've worked with multiple child placement agencies throughout the years, its great to hear your progress. Thanks again.